Welcome To Dundrum


Dundrum is now famous for its recently opened upmarket shopping centre. Opened in 2005, it is not the first. Dundrum opened one of the earliest malls of this kind in Ireland in the early 1970s.
  • Hotels
  • Bed and Breakfasts
  • Self Catering

Information Dundrum Ireland

On Dublin’s south side, Dundrum is now famous for its recently opened upmarket shopping centre. Opened in 2005, it is not the first. Dundrum opened one of the earliest malls of this kind in Ireland in the early 1970s. Today it is known as a centre for shopping, but it has at times been a defence outpost against the Gaelic Irish and the home of a famous mill. Dundrum is near the Dublin Mountains and is on the Luas line, Dublin’s tram system. Dundrum has a long history. Today, an eighteenth century church stands on the site of St. Nahi’s eighth century church. The ancient name for Dundrum is “Taney” and its name is taken to be derived from words to denote “The Church of Nathi”. Taney is first mentioned in the 1170s in a papal bull of Pope Alexander III and in the Charter of St. Laurence O'Toole to Christchurch. The arrival of the Normans in 1169 led to the building of fortifications around Dublin. As part of the continuing fortification, a castle was built in Dundrum around the thirteenth century. This was supplanted by another castle in 1590 thanks to Richard Fitzwilliam. Dundrum was regarded as a defensive outpost on the outskirts of the Pale. The ruins of the castle can be seen overlooking the Dundrum Bypass. The village was famous for its “Manor Mill” where corn was ground into flour. An overflow waterfall was employed to also fuel a paper mill and an iron works. Later, the Manor Mill became a laundry, resulting in its being the region’s largest employer of women and girls. The village developed further in the nineteenth century thanks to the Dublin and South Eastern Railway (DSER) in 1854. However, the train service closed in 1958. Dundrum is served well by bus routes.

Attractions Dundrum Ireland

Cahir Castle - Cahir

Located at Castle Street, Cahir, is one of Ireland's largest and best preserved castles. It is situated on a rocky island in the river Suir. The Castle's attractions include an excellent audio-visual show called 'Partly Hidden and Partly Revealed' in English, French, German and Italian, informing visitors about all the main sites of the area.

Carrick On Suir Heritage Centre - Carrick-On-Suir

This former Protestant church, now restored as a heritage centre, was once part of the Pre-Reformation burial ground and church site of Carrick Mor. Its interesting gravestones include a memorial to Thomas Butler, an illegitimate son of Thomas, tenth Earl of Ormonde. Dorothea Herbert, daughter of the eighteenth century rector and author of 'Retrospections' is also buried here.

Cashel Folk Village - Cashel

Located at Dominick Street, Cashel, it has a delightful series of informal reconstructions of various traditional thatched village shops, a forge and other business. It is housed within the town of Cashel, near by the famed Rock of Cashel.

Mitchelstown Cave - Cahir

Located at Burncourt, Cahir, is considered one of the most spectacular caves in Europe. The caves have three massive caverns, in which the visitor is surrounded by indescribable drip stone formations, stalactites, stalagmites and huge calcite columns.

Ormond Castle - Carrick

Located at Castle Park, Carrick on Suir, is one of the finest examples of an Elizabethan manor house in Ireland. It was built by Thomas, the tenth Earl of Ormond in the 1560s. Closely integrated into the manor house are two fifteenth century towers. It is the country's only major unfortified dwelling from that turbulent period. The state rooms contain some of the finest decorative plasterwork in the country, including plasterwork portraits. Access to the castle is by guided tour only, with a maximum number of twenty people at one time.